Monday, February 28, 2011

So why would I give it up

Access Now is mostly concerned with Facebook's policy requiring real, full names and has launched on online petition called, "Unfriend the Dictators." Yet how much easier will it be to identify dissidents when facial recognition software allows a government to conduct face searches and compare photographed faces with their databases or even the millions of photos stored on Facebook or other social networking sites?
I'm not saying all facial recognition visual search technology is bad. It could be cool or it could be a stalkers dream come true. We all have good days and bad days, so the ability to utilize face search could be used accordingly. It could be used for something wonderful like love at first sight and helping track down that stranger first seen in a crowded public place. Or it could be used for some ill-tempered moment like snapping a pic to search and track down that jerk who cut you off in traffic. In the case of dissidents,GHD Pink face searches could be a death a sentence.My beloved Apple iPad just heard the news: Apple's holding a special event on March 2. The invite doesn't say "New iPad", but the imagery is clear: a calendar page is peeling back to reveal an iPad. What else could it be but the second generation iPad? It'll be different than the iPad I own, ostensibly better. This is what worries my iPad. It assumes, and I'm not sure I can argue with it, that I'll race to replace yesterday's model with the latest, and possibly greatest, tablet on the market.
Don't get me wrong, my iPad has been plenty good to me.Herve Leger Sweetheart Bandage I travel with it and use it for e-mail, web browsing, movie watching, music and audio-book playing, directions, astronomy, Angry Bird throwing, race car driving, newspaper reading, controlling my DVR, and drawing. In fact, I probably spend more time drawing on the iPad than I do anything else. No question about it, the Apple iPad is currently my favorite device. So why would I give it up?

No comments:

Post a Comment