Monday, February 28, 2011

We were afraid it might unsettle him

"No," I said, "I came by train-the twelve fifty-five." "Wasn't that very expensive?" said Lady Emily. Perhaps I ought here juciy couture outletto explain the reason for my visit. As I have said, I am not at all in the habit juciy couture outletof moving in these exalted circles, but I have a rather grand godmother who shows a sporadic interest in my affairs. I had just come down from Oxford, and was very much at a loose end when sheburberry outlet learned unexpectedly that the Duke of Vanburgh was in need of a tutor to take his grandson and heir cheap juicy couture bagsabroad-a youth called the Marquess of Stayle, eighteen years old. It had seemed a tolerable way in which to spend the next six months, and accordingly the thing had been arranged. I was here tojuicy couture sale online fetch away my charge and start forburberry outlet store the Continent with him next day. "Did you say you came by train?" said the Duke. "By the twelve fifty-five." "But you said you were coming by motor." "No, really,Burberry sale onlinec I can't have said that. For one thing I haven't got a motor." "But if you hadn't said that, I should have sent Byng to meet you. Byng didn't meet you, did he?" "No," I said, "he did not." "Well, there you see." Lady Emily put down the core of her apple and said very suddenly: "Your father used to live over at Oakshott. I knew him quite well. Shocking bad on a horse." "No, that was my uncle Hugh. My father was in India almost all his life. He died there." "Oh, I don't think he can have done that," said Lady Emily; "I don't believe heBurberry sale even went there-did he, Charles?" "Who? what?" "Hugh Vaughan never went to India, did he?" "No, no, of course not. He sold Oakshott and went to live in Hampshire somewhere. He never went to India in his life." At this moment another old lady, almost indistinguishable from Lady Emily, came into the room. "This is Mr. Vaughan, my dear. You remember his father at Oakshott, don't you? He's going to take Stayle abroad-my sister, Lady Gertrude." Lady Gertrude smiled brightly and took my hand. "Now I knew there was someone coming to luncheon, and then I saw Byng carrying in the vegetables a quarter of an hour ago. I thought, now he ought to be at Vanburgh meeting the train." "No, no, dear," said Lady Emily. "Mr. Vaughan came down by motor." "Oh, that's a good thing. I thought he said he was coming by train." II The Marquess juicy couture handbags on saleof Stayle did not come in to luncheon. "I am afraid you may find him rather shy at first," explained the Duke. "We did not tell him about your coming until this morning. We were afraid it might unsettle him.

No comments:

Post a Comment